Well, let me tell you, the trip was amazing... in fact it was "once in a lifetime" amazing. I'll probably never have the opportunity to do that kind of trip again... but I would do it again if I could. Hey, maybe someday I can take my kids! (what a thought)
As I'm typing this, I'm trying to figure out what I can say, in this post, that can give you (my loyal reader) a glimpse of what I felt and experienced... I'm drawing a blank... Wow, the Grand Canyon, one of the "wonders of the world." It is so beautiful and so amptly displays God's majesty here on earth.
Besides the scenery, which I will cease to try to describe because I won't be able to do it justice, I met some wonderful people on this trip. We were quite a mix of people. There was a fun-loving, and might I say very sarcastic, family from Iowa (papa was from Arizona), a father and daughter from Pennsylvania who learned to love playing Maffia, a sweet couple who are both teachers (I think they were from Pennsylvania too), and a fun family of four from New Jersey who's youngest son always had us laughing. We also had 3 and a half guides. (by half I mean we had three guides and one intern who was learning how to be a guide). And finally, us! Which included my dad, his wife, their two teenagers, me, Chris, and my brother Daniel.
All 27 of us floated down the Colorado River inside the Grand Canyon for 187 miles. The rapids of the Grand Canyon are one of only three other rivers who's rapids are rated on a 1-10 scale (all other rapids are rated on a 1-6 scale). During those 187 miles, we did rapids that were rated 1, we did rapids rated 10 and we did rapids that rated everywhere in between! It was fantastic! We all had a blast. God was so good to us... He gave us great cohesion as a group, crazy good weather (the guides said that the way the weather was acting, one would think we were on a September trip instead of a July trip!), and safety!
We put in the water on July 4th and then we camped on the shore of the river for 5 nights and were helicoptered out of the canyon 5 days later on the morning of the 9th. What a week... and I mean WHAT A WEEK! Ok, well I can't think of anything else at the moment so I'll post some pictures. Enjoy!
dad, Chris, me, & Daniel
Chris & me at a beautiful waterfall
Daniel & Chris kickin' back while floating down the river
me & hubby at a scenic outlook
view from the top of one of the side-canyons
map of Grand Canyon... we started at Lee's Ferry and got out just beyond Whitmore Rapid (click on the map to get a better look at it)
the last morning... a pic of the whole gang!Ok, that's all for now... will post more thoughts from the trip and some more pics later... until then!
1 comment:
yeah...once in a lifetime about sums it up...=)
Post a Comment